What is this really about? Are there no ideas among the employees or is there just no time and space where ideas can be expressed and shared?
Most employees think about their work, many have ideas, only a few express them, and only very occasionally they are heard. When companies are faced with situations where there are seemingly no easy solutions, it is wise to remember the existing potential in the employees.
To release the creativity and intelligence of the employees, it takes time and room where this can happen.
The following are the 10 building blocks of an environment that encourages creativity and can bring those ideas to light, without which companies are less successful than they could be:
1. The quality of our attention determines the quality of thinking of others.
When we pay attention to each other, listening to each other with respect and genuine interest, new, unfamiliar ideas come to light.
2. When we ask each other questions without knowing the answers in advance, we can come to the new.
We are full of assumptions and resentments that determine our thinking and limit our creativity.
3. Hierarchical action prevents cooperation at eye level.
Fear and a social gradient are the enemies of creativity.
4. Promoting ratio of appreciation to criticism would be 4:1.
In a culture in which criticism is more respected than praise and recognition, creativity and independent thinking die.
5. Sometimes, doing nothing means doing the right thing.
Haste and urgency limit our intelligence.
6. People need encouragement to think outside their own borders.
7. Feelings must be allowed in order to come to new.
There is no creativity without emotion, so e-motion happens in the literal sense: inner movement towards something.
8. Sharing relevant information is needed to give people a complete picture of the corresponding reality.
The deliberate retention of information as a strategy for maintaining and expanding personal position makes it difficult for employees to think independently and to access their intelligent ideas.
9. Creativity needs spaces.
People also need physical spaces to give their ideas free rein, spaces that suggest people that their ideas are desired.
10. Diversity increases the intelligence of groups, and the group always comes up with better solutions than the individual.
The differences between people increase the quality of ideas and thinking. Homogeneity is a form of denial.
As we all know, a key factor for effective change is the ability to engage and empower employees in implementing change projects. The challenge is to enable real dialogue based on the 10 building blocks instead of manipulation and indoctrination. Only then people will find access to their creativity and want to make their ideas and concepts available to their company. And that's not just true for the developers in the innovation departments, but for all individuals in a company.